Winter brought a halt to boat building. There was only one job small enough for the basement – painting the rudder.
I was hoping that Spring Break would bring temperatures warm enough to start painting. It didn’t. But it was a blessing in disguise. What the boat really needed was a week of sanding and filling.
I finished sanding the spars and oars, and planed the mast to a gradual taper, shaving off 4 pounds.
The weather eventually improve and I sanded outside.
I’m doing small scary tasks that can’t be put off any longer. I drilled the holes for mounting the rudder.
I finally decided that I had reached a point where the interior was smooth and lump-free enough. Time to say good-bye to the wood.
The to-do list is getting smaller.